- Archived -- Commonly Used CPT Codes - Primary Care -- Archived
- Archived -- CAGE-AID -- Archived
- ARCHIVED -- About Buprenorphine Formulations -- ARCHIVED
- Archived -- DSM 5 Criteria for Substance Use Disorder -- Archived
- Archived -- Guidelines for Writing a Prescription for Buprenorphine --Archived
- Archived -- Signs and Symptoms of Polysubstance Abuse -- Archived
- ARCHIVED -- Patient Tips for Taking Sublingual Buprenorphine -- ARCHIVED
- Archived -- Recognizing Opioid Withdrawal -- Archived
- Archived -- Standard Induction Protocol -- Archived
- Archived -- Tapering and Discontinuation of Patients from Buprenorphine -- Archived
You should familiarize yourself with the DSM-5 criteria for Substance Use Disorder. They are nearly identical to a combination of the criteria for the diagnoses in the DSM-IV TR of Substance Abuse and Substance Dependence. Specify Opioid Use Disorder, if it is the drug of abuse. The criteria for Opioid Use Disorder are listed in a checklist form available in the Resources on this page.
Review printable fact sheets with the DSM-IV criteria:
Note: A new version of the DSM, DSM-5 was released in May 2013, which did away with the separate diagnoses of substance "dependence" and substance "abuse" and replaced them with a single diagnosis, substance "use disorder" based on nearly the same criteria combined. A minimum of 2-3 criteria is required for a mild substance use disorder diagnosis, while 4-5 is moderate, and 6-7 is severe (APA, 2013). The other major change was to remove the criterion related to legal problems and to add one related to substance craving.
The APA's breakdown on changes to substance-related addictive disorder diagnoses introduced by DSM-5. The document goes over substance use disorder, addictive disorders and briefly states the APA's position on caffeine use disorder.
Describes the substance use disorders as defined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5)
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)