With the changing marijuana landscape in our country – new policies like legalization and new products like edibles – parents were (and still are) struggling with how to talk to their kids about marijuana. So we created a Marijuana Talk Kit and other supportive materials to help parents set the stage for an open dialogue with their teens and equip them with the tools to respond to some tough questions. Look what we were able to do:
March 2015: We launched our free Marijuana Talk Kit: What you need to know to talk with your teen about marijuana. Nearly 11,000 parents have downloaded the Marijuana Talk Kit so far.
April 2015: We hosted a live Facebook Chat on teen marijuana use.
May 2015: We hosted an expert panel discussion at Harvard Medical School, “What You Need to Know to Talk With Your Kids About Marijuana.”
March-May 2015: We launched a Marijuana Talk Kit blog series:
- Marijuana: Finding the right words for your teen
- Marijuana vs. Alcohol: What to Say to Your Teen
- “But YOU smoked when you were younger”
- Ways Marijuana is Used: A Guide for Parents
- “It’s a Plant. How Harmful Could It Be?”
- Do You Smoke or Drink? Consider This
July 2015: We launched our Marijuana Talk Kit YouTube video series designed to give parents quick and simple tips and skills to help answer tough questions and respond to push-back from teens. Topics include:
- How to set the stage for a productive conversation
- How to answer tough questions like, “Would you rather I drink alcohol? Weed is so much safer.”
- How to answer: “I’m only doing it once in a while. It’s not a big deal.”
- How to answer: “Marijuana is a plant. It’s natural. How harmful could it be?”
- How to respond to challenges from your teen like, “But you smoked when you were younger”
August 2015: Family Circle covered our Marijuana Talk Kit in a piece called “The Pot Talk.”
October 2015: Halloween blog post: Which Candy Is Which? Tricks, Treats and Talking about Marijuana
Coming Soon: Spanish version of our Marijuana Talk Kit. Check back soon!
If you haven’t already, download our free Marijuana Talk Kit and start talking with your teen today.
Need help with your child’s drug use or drinking? Call our Parents Toll-Free Helpline – 1-855-DRUGFREE to speak with one of our trained and caring specialists.